Monday, September 24, 2007

Life. I was wondering when this would happen . . . Fall Term, Week Two, Day One

We had a tough weekend with the cars. First Steve and Makenna get rear-ended on the way to soccer. Everyone is fine except for our Ford. That precious hunk of metal that is paid for, has new tires, and a bright new sparkly muffler—that is now pointed down. It looks like the frame is bent so we’re worried that it might be totaled and completely lost. It’s definitely worth more to us than the market value. It’s never given us a minutes worth of trouble and all we’ve ever given it was a little love and the basic car maintenance.

Then there’s the Honda—which we bought (not leased) because of their reputation for running forever thinking that it would run, well, forever. Still under warranty and only four years old, it gets minimal use, all the proper maintenance necessary for a healthy young van, and has already had a new transmission and problems with the battery/main fuse (see this post) and the electrical doors. After soccer I hop in our semi-trusty minivan (now dubbed the Mystery Machine) and I notice the speedometer says I’m going “0.” Then I try the radio: Won’t turn on. Windows: moving s.l.o.w.l.y.—nope, stopped. The air conditioner is sluggish and gasps to spit out a bit of air. Then I notice that all the functions on the dash are either off or are at zero levels (gas, speed, temp, etc.). I do make it home, but it doesn’t restart. Steve jumps it and it dies in the street. Another jump and they make it out of the development until it dies again and they have it towed to the dealership.

So, here we are. Monday morning, a mess to deal with, and it’s time for school.

P.S. Thanks to our parents for bailing us out, driving us around, and lending us their cars!

No comments: