Friday, August 10, 2007

This morning Makenna woke with a terrible stomach ache, schlepping down from her room hunched over and moaning. I was prepared to put off school to tend to her. I showered, dressed and met the kids in the kitchen for breakfast as usual at which point I had quietly decided to let the kids play while Makenna rested—but I made no proclamations of my intentions.

Then it happened. After clearing away the breakfast dishes, Madison announced with one animated word: “School.”

So, being careful not to betray myself, I responded with equal enthusiasm, “OK. Let’s get to it.”

To which she said, “Yes!”

I am happy to report we had a pleasant (although not perfect) morning—even with poor Makenna whimpering in her room. I am encouraged, after many not-so-pleasant mornings, to just keep going. I do desire for them to love this process of educating ourselves and to see learning as a playground, rather than a prison. It is with faith that we started this process, with hopeful visions of creating a life of learning in our home and children that genuinely love knowledge and wisdom.

I’ll gladly interpret this as the first indication that we’re on the right path.

No comments: