Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It is He who sits above the circle of the earth. . .

We finally hung the 6x8 map that Auntie gave the kids for Christmas. It's marvelous and I've spent better than an hour eating lunch in the den and looking it over. We pointed out all the places our niece will be studying over the next 6 months (Switzerland, Egypt, and DC--did I get them right, K?), we located where we live (interesting that Maddie, who can find DC and Columbus on the globe, had a hard time making the switch from the globe to the map), and just had a great time naming all the places the kids pointed to and trying to pronounce some of the more difficult names. Steve's quite excited to teach geography from it. At this age we simply teach geography from our literature, history and science readings. After our readings we locate where the events took place or where characters (historical or fictional) lived, etc. We give directional hints (in the northern hemisphere) or hints based on things they may already know (it's on the continent of Africa or it's to the south of Ohio). We plan to trim the map with molding to protect the edges and I'll probably stencil something above it--maybe from Isaiah 40. Thanks Auntie and Uncle K!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Those are the correct places. I've also travelled to Spain, Jamaica, Senegal, the Bahamas, Canada, and really badly want to go to North Korea, Cuba, Iraq, and Afghanistan. I love maps!!!

Blah la Blah Blog Log said...

Very cool. I love looking at globes and maps. It is interesting.

Jennifer said...

Love it! Where did you find such a big map?

1ofsix said...

My sister found them online. I can't remember the site, but they sell all different kinds of wall murals, including maps.