Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Handicrafts past and present.

Nothing makes me happier than making something by hand. Since I had the kids I've set aside most of my hobbies. I lovingly move my unfinished postage stamp quilt from one location to another and look at it longingly. But as the girls get older I'm taking great pleasure in doing some of my old favorite things with them. I will admit I get a little impatience when we all sit down together because I come to the table with my own agenda and am excited over making something myself and then quickly realize all that needs to be set aside while they are learning their basic skills. No sooner do I pick up my needle and thread than someone says, "Mommy, can you help me with . . . ?" I just keep reminding myself that eventually they won't need my help anymore and I daydream about the things we'll make together.On Friday Steve went off with the men to cut wood and we spread out our yarn and needles, felt squares, and a jar of vintage buttons on the living room floor. Maya is mastering the basic chain with a large crochet needle. Maddie is moving on to learning a single crochet. Makenna, who has been crocheting for over a year, will choose a color and just start crocheting. She'll figure out what it is she's making as she goes. Friday she made the cutest bracelets with a crocheted daisy and a button center. I also taught the girls the proper way to sew on a button and how to do a blanket stitch. And then Makenna and I made these pockets for our needles and scissors. They can be rolled up and tied with the ribbon. I didn't have a pattern so I would change a few things next time, but not bad for a few 25 cent felt squares, a spool of ribbon and some old buttons. I get the most satisfaction from my frugal creations with found materials that are practically useful and terribly cute at the same time (see my criteria for choosing a handicraft here).

Makenna made this cute purse with her weaving loom and a crocheted handle over a year ago. It has made the rounds from girl to girl and is on it's third handle (thanks to a mastiff that shall remain nameless).

These tiled trays were Grandma's idea. The girls painted the tray, planned their design, trimmed and set the tiles and grouted them in. For a while we used them as pencil trays or the girls played with them, but recently I hung them on the wall and now they are our artwork. I'll let you guess which girl made which tray.

3 comments:

Blah la Blah Blog Log said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blah la Blah Blog Log said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blah la Blah Blog Log said...

Okay, Tile work guessing

Tile 1 - MaKenna

Tile 2 - Maya

Tile 3 - Maddie

(Sorry for all the deleted comments. I kept messing up.)

Love the tiles!