Saturday, July 19, 2008

Never a Dull Moment or "Things You Might Want to Know"

Here are some tidbits from our past week:

We became a one car family with a twist. We sold the van and Steve bought a motorcycle. It seems a strange exchange, but hear me out: We have more flexibility in the warmer months than we would have with only one means of transportation and gas is a fraction of the cost (a BIG fraction). So, I’ve gone full circle from the days of riding in the truck between Dad and his friend Bill when they dropped me off at Campus my freshman year. Now I pack the kids in and one of them sits in the “monkey seat” in-between me and their dad. (I’m trying not to be bitter that Steve and Makenna just took off together on the motorcycle to McDonald’s and left me behind. They are probably drinking Cherry Coke without me even as I type.)

In an irrational moment (that only sisters can create for each other), Madison, wielding a pair of scissors, cut Makenna’s finger at the knuckle. It really was an accident—although she was acting foolish, she didn’t mean to cut her sister’s finger and was very remorseful. I took Makenna to Children’s Close to Home and thankfully we came home without stitches.

Makenna and Madison started running with Steve and I three days a week. They each started with a half mile which they run in about 5 minutes. Afterwards Steve teaches them how to stretch. We're hoping this can become a family routine and are wondering how long it will be until we can’t keep up with them.

Maya touched the pipes on the motorcycle (after several warnings not to) and got a nice burn on her index finger that looks like it will blister. She learned about tactical breathing as I applied burn ointment and a gauze bandage.

Makenna got the first part of her braces on. Next week she'll get the pallet expander. She is not at all happy about it.

I ordered the rest of our books for this fall. Gathering them on each girl’s shelf is the exciting part. Every time Makenna notices a new book she begs to read it. Alas she can not—but I can. And many thanks to our Book Fairy for her generous contribution again this year! We've taken the month of July off from our studies and Maddie and Maya have been begging me to do some math or handwriting or "something."

Charlie's "accident's" are down to very few and he has started using toilets at other people's homes and in public bathrooms. But we're still working on the BM's which are very inconsistent—which is to say hardly ever in the desired location.

The secondary title of this post "Things You Might Want to Know" is based on an "article" in Makenna's "newspaper" in which she publishes details about her sibling’s activities that she thought I might like to know about. It turns out that indeed, I did want to know. So at 9 she's figured out what most newspapers (and most of my blog entries) fail to do: tell her audience things they actually care to know.

No comments: