Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Weihnachtsgurke! (God Bless You.)

Ah, the illusive German Christmas Pickle – which may or may not be a German tradition after all. Legend now has it that it’s either:

1. A clever marketing scheme designed to sell millions of Christmas PICKLES, of all things, to unsuspecting Americans, and Germans, by the way. (Who ever thought that plan would work?)

–OR–

2. An old world German tradition where a glass pickle was the last decoration placed on the tree, carefully hidden deep in the boughs. The observant child who found it on Christmas Day would receive a special gift from St. Nick. An adult would find a year of good fortune after finding the pickle.

No matter, we choose to believe and I still hide the Glass Pickle on our tree for which family and friends obsessively search every year. I did an exceptional job of it this year! Last night I hosted Book Club and no one found the pickle. The funny thing is, I can’t find it either.

The pickle prize awaits.

Read more about the legend/myth.

No comments: