Saturday, December 30, 2006

Beware of the Silence!

The general population should be aware of this universal rule of child rearing: If the kids are quiet: trouble’s a-brewin.

As usual, Charlie has taken this simple rule of thumb to a new level.

All the kids were playing and I suddenly became aware of Charlie’s absence. I tilt my head to the side, close my eyes and listen: tuning out the thump of the washer on spin, the tumble of the dryer with little snaps and buttons clicking away in the circular motion, girls playing with new Christmas toys, Maya washing her hands in the sink, Frannie scratching at the backdoor, and the silky smooth Christmasy voice of Bing in the background.

I don’t hear Charlie either.

Anyone see Charlie?

He’s up here and he’s in the toilet.

Nothing new. I think. Until I turn the corner into the bathroom, expecting to see him dipping a role of toilet paper in and out of the water watching the water drip onto the floor. But instead, he’s STANDING in the toilet.

Thankfully the tub is located immediately beside the toilet!

We really gotta keep an eye on this one! Especially wherever water is present.

No comments: